UPCOMING AND RECENT EVENTS
Flavors of Golden–Celebrating Mines and Our Home Town, Sunday, January 26 12:30 to 2 pm in the Mines Student Ballroom
Join a fun, interactive lunch with Colorado School of Mines students, faculty, and leadership and community members to celebrate how Mines and Golden support each other and to strengthen our partnership. This event will feature short remarks by student organizations, community members, and Mines and City of Golden leadership and informal discussion over a shared lunch. We will emphasize to the relationship between students and the community.
Mines will provide main courses and drinks and community members are asked to bring a side dish or dessert. This event will be held in the Ben H. Parker Student Center Ballroom, 1200 16th Street with parking available in the lot between the intramural fields on the west side of Elm Street. Children are welcome, but no childcare will be provided.
Register here for this free event and the opportunity to meet with and talk to Mines students, faculty and leadership along with fellow community members.
Housing Task Force Meeting – January 21st from 6 to 8 pm at the First Presbyterian Church in Golden.
The next meeting of the Golden United Housing Task Force will be on Tuesday, January 21, 2020 from 6 to 8 pm at the First Presbyterian Church in Golden (off of South Golden Road across from Taco Bell). 9to5 Colorado will give a presentation about their organization and the recent statewide legislation regarding mobile home parks. We will also discuss other Housing Task Force activities. The Golden United Housing Task Force meets the 3rd Tuesday of the month from 6 to 8 pm.
We are looking for others to join our planning team and housing task force and to assist with outreach activities. Please let us know if you are interested and/or can recommend others.
Golden United and the Salvation Army recently launched a campaign to mobilize at least $50,000 for emergency rent and utility assistance to enable Golden residents to stay in their homes. You can donate here or by sending a check to The Salvation Army / Golden SEU, c/o Calvary Church, 1320 Arapahoe Street, Golden, CO 80401.
WHO WE ARE
What: Golden United is a non-partisan, residents driven effort to engage Golden area community members across all walks of life to find common ground and act with respect and dignity in strengthening the community.
How: Golden United launched in May 2017 where we gathered residents from different backgrounds and asked them to identify shared values and initial actions. Since then, we continued our mission through community forums, rallies, annual events, task forces and teaming with existing groups to amplify their efforts.
Why: Golden United is deepening our shared sense of belonging, love for, and commitment to this “small town with heart” and it is helping us all to listen to and appreciate those whose beliefs are different from our own.
By bringing together community members across segments of society and ideologies for deep listening and understanding, we can establish a shared commitment to key values and to civic actions that will advance our common goals and strengthen this “small town with heart.”
Golden United engages through 5 streams of action. We welcome further participation.
- Housing Task Force. Golden United has a community driven Housing Task force which is advancing actions to improve access to affordable housing for all income levels while preserving Golden’s unique small town character.
- Community Discussion Forums. Golden United convenes discussion forums on topics of interest across the community to improve understanding and identify common ground actions that can be pursued. Forums have been held on such topics as managing growth, civility, the rule of law and gun violence, affordable housing, campaign finance reform, and the influence of moral values on our political beliefs.
- Flavors of Golden. Each year, we bring together people of varying backgrounds for a shared meal to celebrate our shared commitment to the community and the contributions of organizations and individuals.
- Special Events. Golden United held a unity rally with over 200 participants in August, 2017 to speak out against acts of intolerance and hatred and may convene similar rallies in the future. In October, 2019, Golden United held a Town Hall Forum for Mayoral and Councilor Candidates. Check out the video of the October 1st Candidate Town Hall here.
- Support for Other Community Activities. We team with existing organizations and the city of Golden to support efforts to strengthen the community.
Contacts: Ron Benioff, email@example.com – coordinator.