UPCOMING AND RECENT EVENTS
Golden United Housing Task Force Meeting: Wednesday, July 1 at 6 pm
The next meeting of the Golden United Housing Task Force will be on Wednesday, July 1 from 6:00 to 7:30 pm via Zoom. Register here. All are welcome!
The Golden United Housing Task Force meets the 1st Wednesday of the month at 6 pm. Information for the Housing Task Force is available at goldenunited.org/
Community Conversation on Fighting Racism, June 11th at 6 pm
Following the Golden Vigil and March for Black Lives, Golden United helped facilitate a follow-up meeting to discuss next steps. During the meeting, participants expressed the desire to create a citizen’s group to address racism and racial inequality in Golden. Check back here for more details about this group and upcoming opportunities to get involved.
If you haven’t yet, please sign on to the Golden Community Pledge Against Racism and Racial Inequality.
GOLDEN VIGIL AND MARCH FOR BLACK LIVES, SUNDAY JUNE 7TH AT 2 PM, PARFET PARK
On Sunday, June 7th, Golden United, in partnership with several other community members, hosted a Vigil and March for Black Lives in Parfet Park. The community came together to improve awareness of the unjust treatment of black Americans and discuss how we can together address this issue and similar challenges for all people of color. Estimated attendance ranged from 500-800 participants. If you missed the event, you can still take action by signing our anti-racism pledge. Click the links below to sign the pledge and view the event recording.
Golden United is quickly mobilizing to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic and its effects in our community. Click here to learn about our comprehensive COVID response efforts including business and housing support activities.
Golden United is partnering with the Salvation Army Golden Service Extention Unit, the Golden Civic Foundation, and the City of Golden to help the growing number of people during the COVID-19 crisis who are facing housing insecurity. While this need has always been present in our community, it is especially urgent now that we support people in dire straights from lost wages and other impacts of this pandemic. The Golden Civic Foundation is providing a grant of $7,500 and Golden United is seeking YOUR support to raise a matching $7,500 to help residents in Golden who can’ t afford their rent and utility payments and are at risk of losing their homes.
How You Can Help
WHO WE ARE
What: Golden United is a non-partisan, residents driven effort to engage Golden area community members across all walks of life to find common ground and act with respect and dignity in strengthening the community.
How: Golden United launched in May 2017 where we gathered residents from different backgrounds and asked them to identify shared values and initial actions. Since then, we continued our mission through community forums, rallies, annual events, task forces and teaming with existing groups to amplify their efforts.
Why: Golden United is deepening our shared sense of belonging, love for, and commitment to this “small town with heart” and it is helping us all to listen to and appreciate those whose beliefs are different from our own.
By bringing together community members across segments of society and ideologies for deep listening and understanding, we can establish a shared commitment to key values and to civic actions that will advance our common goals and strengthen this “small town with heart.”
Golden United engages through 5 streams of action. We welcome further participation.
- Housing Task Force. Golden United has a community driven Housing Task force which is advancing actions to improve access to affordable housing for all income levels while preserving Golden’s unique small town character.
- Community Discussion Forums. Golden United convenes discussion forums on topics of interest across the community to improve understanding and identify common ground actions that can be pursued. Forums have been held on such topics as managing growth, civility, the rule of law and gun violence, affordable housing, campaign finance reform, and the influence of moral values on our political beliefs.
- Flavors of Golden. Each year, we bring together people of varying backgrounds for a shared meal to celebrate our shared commitment to the community and the contributions of organizations and individuals.
- Special Events. Golden United held a unity rally with over 200 participants in August, 2017 to speak out against acts of intolerance and hatred and may convene similar rallies in the future. In October, 2019, Golden United held a Town Hall Forum for Mayoral and Councilor Candidates. Check out the video of the October 1st Candidate Town Hall here.
- Support for Other Community Activities. We team with existing organizations and the city of Golden to support efforts to strengthen the community.
Contacts: Ron Benioff, email@example.com – coordinator.