UPCOMING AND RECENT EVENTS
The next meeting of the Golden United Housing Task Force will meet on Tuesday, February 18 from 6 to 8 pm at the First Presbyterian Church of Golden (17707 W 16th Ave.; off of South Golden Road across from Taco Bell). The topic will be planning for 2020. Please bring your ideas and implementation plans for activities and thoughts about ways you’d like to participate. We will also have brief updates on Housing Task Force activities. Light refreshments will be served. The Golden United Housing Task Force meets the 3rd Tuesday of the month from 6 to 8 pm.
On Saturday, February 22 from 1 to 3 pm there will be a Stakeholder Engagement meeting for the Mobile Home Park Oversight Program (https://cdola.colorado.gov/mobile-home-park-oversight-program). A representative from the Colorado Dept. of Local Affairs, Division of Housing will discuss the new Mobile Home Park Dispute Resolution and Engagement Program and collect feedback for rulemaking that will be part of the new law. Please come to provide feedback. Light refreshments will be served. The meeting will be held at the First United Methodist Church of Golden, 1500 Ford Street, Golden, CO 80401. Parking is in the lot facing Jackson St. The meeting is in Fellowship Hall (inside the red door near 15th St. facing Jackson St.)
We are looking for others to join our planning team and housing task force and to assist with outreach activities. Please let us know if you are interested and/or can recommend others.
Golden United and the Salvation Army recently launched a campaign to mobilize at least $50,000 for emergency rent and utility assistance to enable Golden residents to stay in their homes. You can donate here or by sending a check to The Salvation Army / Golden SEU, c/o Calvary Church, 1320 Arapahoe Street, Golden, CO 80401.
WHO WE ARE
What: Golden United is a non-partisan, residents driven effort to engage Golden area community members across all walks of life to find common ground and act with respect and dignity in strengthening the community.
How: Golden United launched in May 2017 where we gathered residents from different backgrounds and asked them to identify shared values and initial actions. Since then, we continued our mission through community forums, rallies, annual events, task forces and teaming with existing groups to amplify their efforts.
Why: Golden United is deepening our shared sense of belonging, love for, and commitment to this “small town with heart” and it is helping us all to listen to and appreciate those whose beliefs are different from our own.
By bringing together community members across segments of society and ideologies for deep listening and understanding, we can establish a shared commitment to key values and to civic actions that will advance our common goals and strengthen this “small town with heart.”
Golden United engages through 5 streams of action. We welcome further participation.
- Housing Task Force. Golden United has a community driven Housing Task force which is advancing actions to improve access to affordable housing for all income levels while preserving Golden’s unique small town character.
- Community Discussion Forums. Golden United convenes discussion forums on topics of interest across the community to improve understanding and identify common ground actions that can be pursued. Forums have been held on such topics as managing growth, civility, the rule of law and gun violence, affordable housing, campaign finance reform, and the influence of moral values on our political beliefs.
- Flavors of Golden. Each year, we bring together people of varying backgrounds for a shared meal to celebrate our shared commitment to the community and the contributions of organizations and individuals.
- Special Events. Golden United held a unity rally with over 200 participants in August, 2017 to speak out against acts of intolerance and hatred and may convene similar rallies in the future. In October, 2019, Golden United held a Town Hall Forum for Mayoral and Councilor Candidates. Check out the video of the October 1st Candidate Town Hall here.
- Support for Other Community Activities. We team with existing organizations and the city of Golden to support efforts to strengthen the community.
Contacts: Ron Benioff, email@example.com – coordinator.