- Dialogue on American Values and How Values Guide our Views – February 5th, 6 pm at the Sherpa House. This is the launch of Community Discussions the First Monday of Each Month at Sherpa House at 6 pm. During these monthly gatherings, folks will meet to talk about issues of interest, starting with brief remarks on a topic defined in advance. On February 5th, we plan to review core values we share as Americans and discuss how values guide our decisions, including concepts from Jonathan Haidt’s book “The Righteous Mind”. We are keen to receive suggestions on topics that you would like to discuss at future gatherings. We will be meeting in a heated outside patio area at Sherpa House. Lhakpa Sherpa is kindly offering discounted dinners (optional). Join us this Monday and future first Mondays for lively discussion, comraderie, and tasty food.
- Forum on Investment Priorities for Golden – March 14th Held Jointly with the Golden Investment Task Force. Time and Location TBD. We are excited to be partnering with the Golden Investment Task Force in convening a discussion about the highest priorities for investment of city resources that will improve the community. This is an excellent opportunity to share your views and to team with other residents in setting a vision for future Golden investments.
- Tentative Plans for an Affordable Housing Event with the Foothills Art Center in Mid May. Stayed tuned for further information on this event.
Please let us know if you would like to join us in planning these forums and welcome your suggestions on topics of interest for future events.
We also are looking for a volunteer or college or high school student intern to assist us with our outreach activities. Please let us know (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you are interested and/or can recommend others.
We hope to see you on February 5th and March 14th and at future Golden United gatherings. Please spread the word and invite friends to join these thoughtful, interactive, and fun gatherings. We have an exciting start of the year ahead of us!
Who Are We?
Golden United is a non-partisan, residents driven effort to engage Golden area community members across all walks of life to find common ground and act with respect and dignity in addressing key issues. It was launched during a May 2017 community gathering of residents from different backgrounds and perspectives, which identified shared values and developed an initial set of actions to expand dialogues and to strengthen the community. These activities focus on Inclusion, Preserving Golden’s Character, and Expanding Opportunities and are described further below.
Golden United is deepening our shared sense of belonging, love for, and commitment to this “small town with heart.” And it is helping us all to listen to and appreciate those whose beliefs are different from our own. In this way, it is preparing us each to participate constructively in local, regional or even national activities that will advance our common goals. Golden United is a complement to but not a substitute for partisan political action advancing specific causes; and it is not intended to duplicate or replace existing groups.
By bringing together community members across segments of society and ideologies for deep listening and understanding, we can establish a shared commitment to key values and to civic actions that will advance our common goals and strengthen this “small town with heart.”
- Build trust and understanding across the community
- Identify shared values and actions that can further strengthen Golden as a “small town with heart.”
- Mobilize action by residents and by local leaders to support these common interests, in harmony with the broad portfolio of existing local programs